Working and dialysis

[ Go to bottom  |  Go to latest post  |  Subscribe to this topic  |  Latest posts first ]

DebbieFort

61, female

Working and dialysis

from DebbieFort on 10/28/2014 06:02 AM

KHA have been asked if there is any information for those who are on dialysis and trying to work.

It would be great to get a document together, is anyone interested?  

annemaxwell

63, female

Re: Working and dialysis

from annemaxwell on 10/30/2014 06:10 AM

Hi Debbie
I am interested in exploring that.  I have been reading about people on dialysis and trying to work through the CNSW forum that I am a part of which is based in the USA.  You can register for this forum through the www.kidney.org/professionals and they put out a journal for Nephrology Social Work.  There has been some great articles in the last one.
Where I work we do have some people working and doing dialysis successfully.  The challenge in our area is for people to get work.  I have been encouraging people who would like to work to maybe think about starting a small business and directing them to check out the website www.etcltd.com.au.  This is a government incentive encouraging small business and helping people to work towards their goals of starting a business. 

DebbieFort

61, female

from DebbieFort on 11/18/2014 01:15 AM

Thanks Anna, that is fabulous information.  Looks like we are on our way.....

DebbieFort

61, female

from DebbieFort on 01/08/2015 01:27 AM

Training for home haemodialysis can be very lengthy and for those working this can affect their income.  KHA are currently trying to advocate for a leave payment to support this period of any patients life. 

In the meantime we have become aware that if a patient is single, has no leave available and can get a letter from their employer who intends to keep their job open to state this then they are eligible for sickness allowance via centrelink.  If their partner is non-working they can also claim.

Current payments per fortnight are:
single no  kids - $515.60
Single with dependent child(ren) $557.90
Single over 60 after 9 months $ 557.90
Partnered and under 60 $465.50 each

Thanks to Trish Kinkade for this information. 

« Back to forum