Age appropriate resources for children?

[ Go to bottom  |  Go to latest post  |  Subscribe to this topic  |  Latest posts first ]

rochfoj

39, female

Age appropriate resources for children?

from rochfoj on 01/12/2015 04:23 AM

Hi All, I often get asked about age appropriate information for children who have parent's experiencing kidney disease to explain the possible impacts and also things to consider. I did some of my own research last year and spoke to KHA/Renal Resource Centre/Social Worker's at Paediatric Hospitals and was told that currently there aren't any specific resources and that clinicians are using adult information that is in simple form/easy to read.  I wanted to check that this is right? I was hopeful that there was a similar resource like the "talking to kids about cancer" by the Cancer Council but for Kidney Disease but this may be wishful thinking! Please let me know if you have anything that could be useful to help children understand and therefore, cope better.  Cheers, Jenny

Reply Edited on 01/12/2015 04:31 AM.

DebbieFort

61, female

Re: Age appropriate resources for children?

from DebbieFort on 01/12/2015 07:25 AM

Hi Jen, it is still a gap.  It has been flagged and i started to try to work on some kids stuff with the paeds nurses but they were all too busy for it to go any further.

It wouldn't really be too hard though. Would the soical work group be interested in pursuing supporting this?

Debbie 

rochfoj

39, female

from rochfoj on 02/06/2015 05:45 AM

Hi Debbie,
Thanks for clarifying what i thought was the case.  It is definatly something i would like to progress and think is a need for the work i do.   
Cheers,
Jenny

DebbieFort

61, female

from DebbieFort on 02/09/2015 07:59 AM

I am just starting to scope this potential project.

Some topics for consideration as inclusion:

what do kidneys do
what is kidney disease
what is haemodialysis
what is transplant
what is peritoneal dialysis
FAQs important to kids
ie will my ** die
will my ** still be able to ...
does dialysis hurt

Would like to try and find a way to have a focus group to help advise us.  Maybe via kids camp and any of your contacts.

Some options for format
A5 picture and words booklet
fact sheet - not so friendly though
video - not so easy to make
cartoons
stories within booklet - explain dialysis via set characters etc 

« Back to forum